Le Poisson Rouge

Make comments about the venue; the experience of the sound check; comparing the sound check to the concert; comments about Todd Reynolds; comments about Evan Ziporyn; the role of the academic composer (Ziporyn is a professor of music at MIT, it was two of his students who invented Guitar Hero – though it was not Ziporyn who was responsible for any of it; Here was a concert with two long pieces, how does that compare with the usual “concert” experience? What did you think about the amplification? The electronics? The “required” two items at the tables?

Any other comments? You can compare this with other experiences of the semester, or experiences you have had outside of class.

Don’t forget we meet at LeFrak Hall for the 12:15 concert on Wednesday. Don’t be late.

14 Responses to Le Poisson Rouge

1. bweinstein says:

Tonight’s experience at Le Poisson Rouge is certainly one I will not forget. Partly because it was my first real venture to the Village, and partly because I had the privilege of riding with Prof. Smaldone, but mainly because I was truly impressed by the quality of music. Although I thought the first piece was extremely creative, bringing electronics into the mix, it was a bit dragged out and I think could’ve been performed in a fraction of the time. However I do not mean to diminish the talent of Evan Ziporun or Todd Reynolds. It is clear that both of them are extremely talented and distinguished performers. The second piece, on the other hand, kept me intrigued the whole way through. I was mesmerized by the way the three instruments (the cello, violin and piano) combined in perfect harmony to create a piece of art that had a certain excitement to it. I loved the way the music had a sort of “ebb and flow” to it. There must be some music term out there to describe this that I’m not familiar with (rubato maybe? See, I was paying attention.) I’m not a total newbie to the music scene, but I didn’t realize how involved the performers are while they perform! The cellist, Mr. Reynolds and the pianist made almost constant eye contact with each other and their entire bodies seemed to move with the music. I thought that was an interesting thing to be noted.

Thank you to Prof. Smaldone for giving us this special experience! (And thanks again for the car ride.)

2. smak100 says:

I enjoyed today’s experience, especially because this was the first time I have been in such a setting. Also, I really enjoyed the vivacity the performers brought to the pieces. It was really great to watch, especially the cellist. The clarinetist was a little more comical to watch. I also admire how synced Todd Reynolds was with the clarinetist, especially with the syncopated rhythms. The amplifiers really brought out the sound, and each stroke of the bow for the violinist and the cellist were clearly heard, which made the experience more exciting. And the food was good (especially the tater tots), but the water was pricey. It was a nice setting for live music.
    I felt that the music itself was interesting to listen to. There second piece played by the clarinetist and the violinist stayed in constant dissonance until the end, where it ended in resolution. It gave off a lot of tension, which I guess was the purpose of the piece. The last piece, although long, was enjoyable. It was interesting to guess when two of the instruments were together, and when they were each playing separate melodies. Overall, it was really fun to watch and listen to.
    Shirley Mak

3. corinayee says:

This was certainly an experience for me because it was the first time I have ever attended such a concert live with instruments that amplify electronically. My favorite instrument throughout the entire concert was the violin played by Todd Reynolds and I could help to applaud his amazing skill at the instrument. While he was playing, the amplified sounds produced by the violin reminded me of another song, Paul Dateh’s “Be More”. Paul Dateh is also a musician/violinist, whose songs revolve around electronically amplified sounds produced from the violin.
    Here’s a link to the song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOafTt1EHPE

The last song was quite long but very enjoyable especially when it came towards the end because I personally like fast rhythm music and when the entire group started playing faster, that was my favorite part. It was also interesting as I watched the piano player play because throughout the performance, her movements and gestures she displayed while she played demonstrated her focus and comfort with the music. It looked as if her body movements went along with the rhythm of the piece. Lastly, I would like to comment on how in sync Reynolds and Ziporyn were as they were playing together; I found that to be amazing. It was also unique that Ziporyn incorporated his everyday sounds like his daughter into the pieces as background music.

As for the “required” two items on table deal, I could not complain because they made us try their tater tots, which was very delicious! The nachos were quite good too.

• esmaldone says:

Paul Dateh’s stuff is interesting. I think he is possibly a better singer than he is violinist, but the style is at a very spot along the spectrum between “classical chamber music” and “pop” music.

4. David Rand says:

First of all, I would like to complement Le Poisson rouge for serving me the best bottle of water and cup of plain seltzer that I’ve ever had! While these two drink orders were very plain, the performers were anything but plain. As others have said, their passion brought an excitement to the piece that goes far beyond what is written in the notes.

Sitting directly in front of he stage not only gave me a neck ache, but also afforded me an uninhibited view of the performers. The thing that impressed me most about the performance is the same thing that caught my attention when we heard the classical guitar piece in class, which was the level of concentration required by each of the performers. It was truly incredible to see a regular person sitting right in front of me, playing such complicated notes on the piano, moving her fingers a mile a minute across the keyboard flawlessly. The same is true for the violinist, the classical guitarist, and all the other musicians that we’ve seen. When most of your music that you listen to is heard through iPod headphones, you miss this key aspect of the musical experience.

One side note: Was anyone else as impressed as I was by the man whose sole job was to sit next to the pianist and turn the pages of her notes? While this may seem like a silly thing to say, it takes an entirely different type of focus to read every note while it is being played for minutes on end. Not to mention the pressure that comes with the fact that if he messes up, the whole piece gets thrown off.

Overall, this was a great experience. See you all in Lefrak Hall (unintentional rhyme).

5. tfanizzi says:

First of all, I really enjoyed the setting of this performance. I liked how the lighting was low and the mood was very relaxed. Even the performers on the stage were assembled in a laid-back manner. During the soundcheck, I really didn’t know what to think of the music. The piece with the track of Evan Ziporun’s daughter seemed very eerie during small clips they played for the soundcheck. However, when I heard that piece in full during the actual concert, I liked it much better. Although the concert only consisted of two long pieces, it felt like more. Each section of the piece brought in something new, although I felt as if there was a recurring motif that could be heard throughout. I thought they concert was an excellent display of musicianship. All of the performers were clearly talented, and I was amazed by the level of communication between each of the players. I especially enjoyed watching the cellist; the way she moved with her instrument, and her face as she played made watching the performance more enjoyable. I could really tell that she wanted to be there, and she was playing something that she loved. All in all, it was a new, fun, interesting experience that I am glad I got to partake in.

6. I’m always interested in seeing live music. I love going to little clubs like that even though I don’t get to as often as I’d like. I thought the musicians played very well. They were technically proficient and had a very good sense of ensemble and balance. That being said, I am not a big fan of the modern style that the pieces were written in. I prefer a more melodic piece or seeing improvised music like jazz. I don’t hear much development in a lot of modern music. To me it sounds like short fragments and ideas repeated over and over. I’m sure it takes a certain skill to develop pieces like that and to pull them together as a group but It isn’t my cup of tea.

7. swlau258 says:

Aside from the music itself, the thing that impressed me the most were the decorations. The lighting and the colors that they use sets the audience in a relaxed mood, which allows us to fully enjoy the performance. It was the first time that I’ve ever been to a place like Le Poisson Rouge, and I’m not disappointed by what I’d found. I can’t exactly comment on how great their playing was since I’m not familiar with playing music, but it sounded very nice. The performers movements during the piece showed me how engaged someone could be when they’re doing something they love, it was a pleasure to watch.

Overall, I’m very satisfied with the entire experience. From the subway ride with everyone, having free sushi with Clarissa, hearing the sound check, to the actual show itself. It was all fun and I’m glad that we get the opportunity to have these experiences.

8. ablumenthal100 says:

Last night’s performers showed great technical proficiency and connection with the music being played. It was truly a pleasure to watch them engage with each other and their audience as they took notes on a page and developed them into something more meaningful. Notation really is such a little part of actual musical performance. Music is about expression and interpretation and interaction, and the artists at Le Poisson Rouge showed these elements of performance magnificently.

That being said, I’m not sure exactly what I think of Evan Ziporyn’s compositions. There were certainly elements I found intriguing. For example, Ziporyn’s incorporation of his daughter’s laughter into his first performed piece created an interesting musical setting when used in conjunction with violin and bass clarinet. The vamping of certain sections in the pieces also helped create a feeling of intensity and movement as the pieces progressed.

This outing presented me with an opportunity to experience a type of music of which I would probably otherwise not have listened. I am glad I got a chance to do so!

9. In response to David’s side note: I did spend a lot of time staring at that guy whenever he turned the page. I did ponder what a task it must have been for him to have to sit there and follow each note and know when to turn the page.

What I loved most about the performance was how in sync each performer was with their instrument; the head, bobbing, the swaying, you could tell they were really into the music, and that overall they were passionate about what they did. I was sitting in a position where I didn’t get to see the pianist (I think most of us couldn’t see her very well) but for the quick seconds that I dd see her, she had a certain “umph!” to the way she played and interacted with the other two.

The lighting added to the relaxed atmosphere. I enjoyed seeing the lighting change without being too ostentatious. It didn’t distract from the music, but added to it.

Le Poisson Rouge had a beautiful feel to the place. I loved the tipped fish tank with RED FISH inside of it. The red lights as you walked down was a great touch. They did a great job bringing some meaning to the club name.

I wish they didn’t brand our hands with “x’s” though. I recommend the tater tots, they were excellent!

10. csbaquiran says:

Our experience at Le Poisson Rouge is quite the memorable one. The ambiance was great, and gave the feel that one was in an established, yet homely venue. Such a sentiment was echoed through their eclectic menu, which featured crab rolls and milk ‘n cookies, among other various dishes. The little details that revealed the nature of the space caught my attention the most. I loved seeing “le poisson rouge” on the walls, off-center. There were chairs around the restroom area that also had a red fish at the ends of the arm rest.

The two pieces were interesting….though a bit difficult to understand. The label of “typical music” certainly made it ironic as a whole. Were these pieces typical of Evan Ziporyn’s repertoire? With the use of dissonance and a section featuring the pentatonic scale? Or maybe typical sounds in life are featured in the pieces, notably his daughter’s in the first song. I was left with the impression that the length of the final piece would let one’s mind wander, and feel as though they were hearing “typical music” in the background.

I applaud all of the players for their skill, concentration, and artistry. Even their movements added to the appeal of the performance,- the pianist nodded with each of her syncopated beats, the cellist swayed side to side with her instrument, etc. What was even more amazing was the uniformity displayed between the bass saxophonist and violinist in the first piece. But what topped off the night? The freshly baked chocolate chip cookies soaked in milk.

This experience made me realize how intense music can be. The same applies to my experience watching Mike Gordon’s percussion piece. But alas, the third time’s the charm, so I’ll let you know if my opinion stays true after watching the next live performance.

11. dharamati says:

In response to David’s post, I at first thought it was hilarious that someone’s job was merely to turn pages for the pianist. He sat there all dressed up with his “gameface” on and made it seem like he was trying to fit in with the musicians. But after studying his actions and his role in the performance I realized that his task was no joke. Like David excellently put it, the performance really hinged on this guys ability to focus and time the page turns. This gave me a greater appreciation for the little intricacies that can are involved in a performance.

I also really enjoyed the “villagey” feel to the club. The off kilter fish tank, the lighting, the oversize chairs, even the way our waitress was dressed added to the atmosphere of Mr. Ziporyn and Mr. Reynolds’ performances. I really love the village and the buzz that you feel when your down there. In terms of the music, I can’t really comment on the technical aspects of it because unfortunately my wealth of knowledge does not really extend into the music world. I did think that the first piece was nice but became redundant and could’ve been shortened a bit. The piece was the ocean sounds and the child talking was by far my favorite. It was amazing the way they perfectly incorporated the recordings into the body of the performance.

-side point
    I think it’s really amusing and interesting to watch the body language and movement of the performers while they are playing. It looks like they get a nice workout while playing because they’re always throwing different body parts around. I wouldn’t be surprised if I saw one of them take a fall after a performance….

12. Alexandra Nicoletti says:

Everything about this experience was new to me – the location of the club itself, the music being performed, and even the surprising “two-item-requirement.” I always enjoy learning about new things, so I am grateful to have been a part of this adventure.

As a fellow performer, I found myself focusing on the expressive body language of the musicians more than anything else. Posture truly speaks louder than words. The performers’ bodies flowed along with the music, and added a sort of aesthetic visual element to the concert. Their emotional involvement in what they were playing was very inspirational and moving, in my opinion. I felt like I could truly fathom their passion for music in the moment.

As a composer, however, I can’t say that I had an equal understanding for the music itself. It was nothing like I’ve ever heard before, which made me initially curious. It was indeed experimental, in regard to tone color and instrumentation. Although it is good for artists to broaden their experience by observing others’ creative displays, I couldn’t seem to grasp the meaning and hidden beauty of the music myself. Perhaps I haven’t had enough exposure to this type of chromaticism in order to appreciate it.

13. suesun28 says:

The performance was extremely eye opening. I was expecting to hear jazz mostly because we were at a dark lit bar. However, when the soundcheck began, I was really surprised. I heard bits and pieces of what they were going to play and to be honest, I liked some of the sound check parts better. I didn’t really enjoy the first three duo pieces with Todd Reynolds and Evan Ziporyn. For it, it was just a bunch of random notes and I remember hearing someone say, “That was the most expensive noise I’ve ever listened to.” However, I did think that the composer employed a very unique idea by using recorded playbacks of his daughter at the beach and other looped sounds.

On the other hand, I thought the longer pieces with the two woman (one on the cello and one on the piano) were really great. What amazed me was their endurance, stamina and their timing. I don’t think they were ever off beat.

The atmosphere also made it a lot more personal and fun. I enjoyed it much more than a regular concert in a concert hall where everyone is facing the same direction. I could see the expression of people sitting across from me and I could sometimes whisper what I thought to the person next to me.