Looking Back At Ancient Art: The Mongol Influence

Recently, the MET just opened an exhibition of Chinese art from the Yuan Dynasty. The most interesting aspect of this is the fact that these artworks exemplify Mongol influence in Chinese society during that time. This exhibition is actually called “The World of Khubilai Khan”, and Khubilai Khan is the Mongolian descendant of Genghis Khan who claimed himself emperor of China from 1271to 1368.

Under his control, he revolutionized Chinese society, especially in the arts “department”. For example, gold was a huge part of Mongolian society, which is very different from the usual Chinese appearance. As the ruler, Khan required many objects to be gold and it ranged from golden dishes to golden clothing. Nowadays, the Chinese incorporate gold with luck and wealth, which are important aspects of the culture. Being Chinese myself, I had not known this and now that I do, I feel more in touch with my own culture.

The Mongolian influence also caused the age of theater to occur in China, which is interesting because Beijing opera is widely popular, and now I understand its origins.

Just by looking at the pictures of the works of art displayed at this exhibition is stunning because it is hard to believe that such art can be created so long ago. It really gives a clear insight on the history and influences on China and after reading this NY Times article, it provided me with more knowledge about my own culture.

NY Times Article here.

Here’s a slideshow preview of the exhibition. (The first picture of the dragon sculpture is my favorite.)

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Looking Back At Ancient Art: The Mongol Influence

1. esmaldone says:

Very interesting post. It is interesting to see how political and economic control influence the exchange of ideas and the developments of cultural traditions.