Praising the Abstract

The Museum of Modern Art is currently holding an exhibit titled “Abstract Expressionist New York: The Big Picture.” Works in the abstract style by various artists (such as Mark Rothko, Barnett Newman, Arshile Gorky, and Adolph Gottlieb) are on display to demonstrate the intelligence and magnificence of this artistic movement. By observing early and recent pieces alike, one can contemplate about what artists could have done differently throughout history. However, the exhibit also encourages reflection on the art’s development over time and it’s marveling accomplishments.

This form of expression may seem a bit monotonous to some. Personally, I feel this way at times. I am well aware that each artist has his/her own style and “language” in their work. But sometimes, it is difficult to distinguish one artist’s scribble from another’s. Perhaps this is because I lack a sufficient appreciation for the art itself. I also found myself feeling this way during the Monday’s performance at Le Poisson Rouge. It is difficult to have an appreciation – let alone an attraction – for something that you don’t necessarily understand.

The exhibit is running from October 3rd through April 25th. This might be a good idea for a group trip; it could serve as an expansion on our discussion about the abstract as art.

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Praising the Abstract

1. esmaldone says:

I think it is important, as you discover new genres and new ideas in art forms you thought you knew, to have an open mind. Many “new” styles of the 20th century had a visceral response to color or image (in art), sound (in music) and movement (in dance). Suddenly, anything and everything was possible. this is a great challenge for an artist, for if everything is possible, how does one determine where the limits are of a genre? If any sound if “allowed” how do I control my sounds and organize them into something coherent? If any image is “allowed” how do I decide on issues of scale, representation, contrast, composition? If any movement is allowed, how do I determine which to use and which to reject? How does an artist create without boundaries? and yet, the lack of predetermined boundaries is precisely what makes being an artist in such an era so exciting. It is crucial to learn to appreciate what is THERE without looking for something that is NOT there. It does not make sense to complain that you can’t get good lasagne at a Chinese restaurant.