Defying Gravity

Marina Abramović once suggested an intellectual inquiry: “Who creates limits?”
Trisha Brown certainly does not.

In the Whitney Museum (New York) last week, a re-enactment of Ms. Brown’s “Man Walking Down the Side of a Building” was performed. The activity was part of a larger project titled “Off the Wall: Part 2 — Seven Works by Trisha Brown.” The choreographer’s original piece was created in 1970, and featured a dancer suspended by a harness attached to the ceiling. He/she would stand horizontally erect, and maintain complete grace as he/she slowly walked down the wall. This takes control from more traditional forms of dance, such as ballet, to the next level.

The exhibit intends to present a new approach in perceiving art. Since the piece is so extreme in nature, it is apparent that its style strays from the traditional. The fact that the work revives the rebellious notion originating in the late 60’s positively indicates that the concept is growing stronger as time passes and as art modernizes.

Ms. Brown has explored the fundamentals of dance in several other works, as well. For example, ordinary bodily movements are glorified as they are coordinated in a repeated manner in “Accumulation”. Her pieces combine elements of the ordinary (simple bodily movements, and ordinary activities such as walking) with those of the extraordinary (like gravity). The possibilities for this form of expression now seem infinite, thanks to the artistic contributions of this phenomenal woman.

The original article is here.

Below is another re-enactment of the piece.

This entry was posted in Dance. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Defying Gravity

1. David Rand says:

While the video gets kind of monotonous after 30 seconds or so of walking, I think that the whole idea of it is amazing. Seeing it live must be pretty breathtaking. I also found it intriguing that it falls under the category of dance. I would never have classified this video as a derivation of dance before reading this post.

2. suesun28 says:

I love this idea because I keep thinking that if the video were vertical, everything would look completely normal. That’s how I think the video should start off. Towards the end, it should then be flipped so the viewers could see what is really going on.

3. esmaldone says:

It reminds me of the aerialist who walked a tightrope between the World Trade Towers,

There was also this guy who climbed UP the front of the New York Times building a few years ago: