Hotel Art

There is a new theater piece called Hotel Savoy, now running at the Goethe-Institut, which immerses the audience in the actual performance. Each person enters alone, and each entrance is timed by the concierge to be seven-and-a-half-minutes apart. Each guest is then led through the hotel by maids, elevator operators, and others, all actors, who improvise conversations with them. Once the guests settle into their rooms and have the atmosphere of the hotel sink in with them, they witness the story of a man named Gabriel, who checks into the hotel but cannot leave. The storyline of Gabriel is based on Hotel Savoy, a novella written in 1924 by Joseph Roth.

There really isn’t any information online about the piece, probably because the whole point of the piece is that the guests actually experience the story for themselves, and do not know what will happen next. This is very exciting and reminds me of an article I read a few months ago about a hotel where guests check in and are kidnapped by hotel staffers and taken somewhere they don’t know where they are interrogated, among other crazy experiences (but I can’t remember the name of it). Although Hotel Savoy is not this extreme (from what I read), I think this is an interesting concept because the art that the observer is there to see changes because of what the observer contributes to the piece.

One of the rooms in Hotel Savoy

This entry was posted in Theater. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Hotel Art

1. Alexandra Nicoletti says:

I find that the most impressive pieces of art are those that involve its audience. Like we have learned before, it is harder to hate an artistic work after meeting its creator. This is because you now have a personal connection to its origin, and a deeper understanding of its significance. The same purpose applies to this piece, although, Hotel Savoy presents a more mysterious facade.

Also, obviously, it’s much easier to enjoy a performance if its interactive, rather than harnessing all your concentration on something while sitting still.

2. esmaldone says:

I went have been to this installation

http://www.dubuffetfondation.com/sculptures/jardin_ang.htm

There is definitely something to being “inside” a work of art. Another reason why big Bambu is worth seeing! Not much time left!

(the Hotel Savoy would make a good small group trip)

3. The picture itself makes me tempted to ask people to come along for a group trip. I’m actually glad there is no real information to this “performance” as you might call it, because it excites people’s curiosity and makes them WANT to go discover what’s so mysterious about it.

For my Urban Studies class two summers ago, we went to a “tenement” where they did something like this. My group of 16 had to play one big family, and we were led into a tenement where one of the residents “spoke” to us, and told us about her life since she immigrated here. It was a believable act. You wouldn’t even know that it was the twenty-first century once you were speaking with her in her crowded little room.

So naturally, this type of idea appeals to me.. being one on one with these people is a little more intimidating, but I think we call can handle it!

Let’s start planning!