Privacy

I recently read an article about a usable public toilet that is enclosed in a case made up of one-way mirrored glass. At first, this may seem like nothing more that what it looks like, but the toilet actually is part of an art exhibition called “Don’t Miss A Sec” that is being showcased in London. It is designed so that the whoever is in the stall could see outside. Pedestrians, however, can’t see inside.

The artist, Monica Bonvicini, thought of the idea while watching people at art openings. She realized that nobody wanted to leave the room because they were afraid that they would miss something important. As a result, she constructed the piece so that the art-goer could “remain in action” even while using the toilet.

I thought this piece was very clever and unique because it tests people’s limits. It toys with the concepts of “privacy and voyeurism” and captures people in their most vulnerable state. However, the piece also serves a utilitarian function, which is not something all art does.

Here’s the link

Here’s a picture:

3 Responses to Privacy

1. bweinstein says:

I read your post and I think it is extremely interesting. However, i think you made a slight mistake or maybe I misunderstood. You said that they used one-way mirrored glass but then you wrote that both the person using the toilet can see out and the pedestrians can see in. I think one or the other is a typo. Hopefully, no one can see in while a person relieves themselves. I think that that would be the definition of public indecency.

What I wonder is how can they refer to this as art? Granted, art encompasses many things. However, what is “artistic” about a toilet encased in glass? I think this poses many questions about the idea of privacy and how one feels to let people into their private lives, but where is the creativity behind this? However, whoever came up with this idea was extremely innovative, and I congratulate them for breaking this privacy barrier.

2. esmaldone says:

Susan, we need a link to the article. This is one of those “artistic” ideas that might be more interesting to ponder than to experience. Privacy in the internet age is constantly subject to re-definition.