Dance, Visual Art, Theater…or all three?

How intriguing is the above work done by Ivy Baldwin? My favorite part about it is that it could be interpreted as dance or a piece of artwork or theater! The dance company (Ivy Baldwin Dance) that is putting this on is known to perform works that combine modern dance and theater. I get excited when I see the art forms meshing because before this class, I compartmentalized music, dance, theater and the visual arts. Now, though, I feel that since I’m looking out for a combination of the art forms with a more open mind, I’m noticing it done more and more frequently.

Anyway, so this is a new work called “Here Rests Peggy” attributed to Peggy Guggenheim at the Chocolate Factory, which is a museum in Long Island City that features creative, fresh works of various art forms. Peggy Guggenheim was a very famous, big time art collector during the time that she lived and was well known for choosing paintings that she personally thought were beautiful even if nobody else did. She is actually the niece of Solomon Guggenheim, whose famous museum of contemporary art we were just discussing today! It’s also important to note that Peggy is one of the key figures who promoted contemporary works and steadfastly stood by the works of radical artists such as Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko through displaying them to the public. This is why the tribute to her looks like an abstract expressionist painting. Her collection, called The Peggy Guggenheim Collection, still exists and is something I’d love to see. I would go to it for our required individual arts outting but may have to wait on it, considering that it’s in Venice!

Check out the review of this piecehere.

This entry was posted in Dance, Theater, Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Dance, Visual Art, Theater…or all three?

1. esmaldone says:

I’ve been to the Peggy Guggenheim Museum in Venice! It is quite beautiful, though the city itself gives the paintings a lot of competition. there are a number of famous examples of art collectors simply collecting what they like. Not too difficult if you have several million dollars to spare.