A World Without Sounds

Music is all around us, not only in the form of recorded songs but sometimes even simple tapping noises. A lot of sounds could be consider as music, because much like art there isn’t really a line that is drawn. Many people may disagree with me and have a strong opinion about what is music and what isn’t music, but that is another topic for another time.

Music is very representative, it can tell a complex story that words cannot express. A few simple notes in the right order can convey more feelings that a whole page of words. It also has a profound effect on movies. The “mood” music in a movie, in my opinion, is just as important as the lines the actors speak. The music builds anticipation for upcoming scenes and adds to the scenes. Think back to the last horror film that you saw, wasn’t there some type of scary music that made you more and more nervous by the second? Can you imagine how it would have been without the music? The scene probably wouldn’t have been as scary and wouldn’t make you jump as much. You don’t really think about it, but the effect that music has on films is enormous.

The influence on music is basically everywhere, personally I like to have music playing when I’m doing work (Currently listening to Taylor Swift’s new album). It’s a habit of mine, and it feels weird for me to work without music. Most of the music that people our age listen to has lyrics that tells a story, but sometimes just the music is enough. There are no words needed and at times music can tell a even more beautiful story than words.

This entry was posted in Music. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to A World Without Sounds

1. ToniAnn Fanizzi says:

I agree with you that the music in movies is just as important as the movie itself. I remember doing a lab in biology when I was in 9th grade. We watched the scary movie The Ring, one time all the way through, music and all. During one suspenseful part, one of the main characters is sneaking around a warehouse trying to find a file. The music in the background is very eerie, and when the character pulls a file out, she drops it on the floor and a HUGE centipede-type bug falls on the paper. The bug falling is accented by a loud bang in the music, which caused my whole class to jump, and a few people to scream out. After the movie ended, my teacher went back to this particular scene and played it again, this time without sound. Suddenly, the scene was not scary at all, and the bug that fell was just seen as a gross bug! I found it amazing how much the music actually contributed to the movie! Music is super important!