“Saying I’m sorry is the same as saying I apologize. Except at a funeral.”-Demetri Martin

Shirley’s post about comedian/musician Victor Borge reminded me of my favorite comedian, Demetri Martin. This comedian is an equally talented funny man whose style is a bit unorthodox. He uses an immense amount of elaborate word play and one liners, as well as occasionally incorporating a large notepad into his act. Additionally he often plays music while delivering his standup. You would expect him to play some guitar or maybe some piano(which he does), but this eccentric jokester also throws a harmonica, tambourine,ukulele,toy bells, and glockenspiel into the mix(sometimes many of these instruments at once). Many of you may have heard of him from his Comedy Central program “Important Things” or from his appearances in “Talking Woodstock” or “Flight of the Conchords.” I personally have been to a show of his at Bowery Ballroom and it was incredible. His comedic timing is perfect and his humor is witty and intelligent. I even got to meet him after the show and he laughed at some of my jokes. As you can imagine this made the night even more memorable(it’s like Michael Jordan complimenting your jumpshot). I’ve been looking for another show of his that I can attend and may go to his show this Thursday at the University of Maryland. You all should definitely watch some of his standup online as soon as you can…Trust me.

Click here for some good laughs

One Response to “Saying I’m sorry is the same as saying I apologize. Except at a funeral.”-Demetri Martin

1. David Rand says:

Doron, great call on the Demetri Martin comedy skit, which happens to be my favorite comedy routine of all time! Tonight, a bunch of our classmates (including Clarissa, Corina, and Susan) and I went to see a stand-up comedy show in the, featuring Eliot Chang, in the Queens College Student Union Building. Chang, who has been featured on Comedy Central before, was absolutely hilarious. Check him out on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=eliot+chang&aq=f