Music Videos

Many, many, many songs get made into music videos, but how many of them actually represents the song? Sometimes when I watch music videos I’m wondering if it has anything at all to do with the song, some of them just seem like random dancing and half naked girls. While I’m sure there are a lot of people who appreciate that type of thing, I enjoy watching the videos that have a storyline which matches the song. That’s not to say that I don’t like the other music videos, if it somewhat makes sense and is decent I can appreciate that.

My last blog post was about music and how its influence on film and other stuff. Now let’s talk about things the other way around. Lyrics are poetry, it tells a story and with visuals it allows the viewer to appreciate the story more. I know there are some meaningless songs out there (such as Ke$ha’s music, but they do have a good rhythm). Majority of the lyrics in music tells a story, no matter how simple. Most of my favorite videos are those that shows the story of the song.

Here’s an example:

And for the songs that include random dancing and head movements, here’s an example of that:

I’m sure you can all think of examples from both categories, so I’m not going to go crazy and post ten videos on here. Which one do you prefer? Random dance? Or the storyline?

I’m also pretty curious to know your favorite music video.

This entry was posted in Music, Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Music Videos

1. I don’t watch many music videos, but I think for some, it’s just artsy to have it NOT match directly with the song. I didn’t like Miley Cyrus singing “Can’t Be Tamed” (had she been a little older and not viewed by so many youngsters I’d be totally cool with it), but I did like the whole concept of her being a caged bird. It seemed to show that even if you try to capture some rare species and hold it in captivity, it won’t let anyone get the best of it, and it held well with the song’s idea of “can’t be tamed.”

But I definitely have seen some music videos and wondered “What does this have to do with the song?!”

2. esmaldone says:

Well, I just wonder what happened to little Miley? She seems to be taking several pages out of Britanny Spears play book. apparently she has been convinced that sex sells, so she is producing a very sexy video. Yawn. I was watching this in the kitchen, my daughter (22 years old) walked past. when I asked her what happened to little Miley, her response was “She can’t be tamed, Dad.”