Big Bambu Experience

On Saturday, October 30th, I finally went to see Big Bambu. I didn’t go to Big Bambu earlier for numerous reasons, such as bad timing, bad weather, and just forgetting that it had to be done. But I woke up 8 am on Saturday morning, trying to get the noon tour. However, there was a long line, and I ended up getting a ticket for the four o’clock tour. Professor Smaldone and I coincidentally ran into one another at the museum as I was waiting.

I wanted to record the entire 40 minute tour, but all that was allowed was the clothes on our back to keep us warm from the cold breeze. As we walked on the bamboo stairs, I heard a lot of creaking. We were informed on how the structure was tested. Engineers helped make the base of the structure, and a large number of heavy bags of sand were left on the sculpture for 24 hours in order to test it (I forgot the exact numbers said for the amount of bags and the weight of each, but they were astounding numbers). The sculpture had only moved a quarter of an inch with this immense weight, so it was unlikely that we would collapse, despite all the creaking (and the shaking that I felt whenever one of the guys would bounce on the structure!).

When we walked up a little higher, we met with this little living room-like area. Benches and cup-holders made out of bamboo, and the floor had a cross hatched design that looked absolutely gorgeous. Our tour guide showed us how the rock climbers cut off the tip of bamboo poles and placed them into the floor for decorative purposes. Mixed in with the color nylon rope, it had a stunning effect.

We were then split into two separate groups and walked to the top of the structure. Before mentioning the rest of the experience, I came on the 30th expecting to see the structure at practically its highest point, since the Starn brothers and the rock climbers were supposed to have kept on going until the last day. However, the tour guide informed us earlier on in the tour that the Starn brothers recently decided to make deconstructing the structure a part of the “art process” too. So for the past week, the sculpture has been getting shorter as they have been removing some of the poles.

The tour guide expressed that they wanted to make it look something like a tidal wave. When we got to the top, I saw it. It seemed like such a fluid crescent wave, as if it were crashing against the sea shore or something.I personally felt as if I was riding on the top of a giant wave. I wish I could’ve taken a picture, but for now, a picture from an article will have to suffice:

The “wave” isn’t as stunning here in the picture as it is when you view it from the top sadly.

What I liked was the description of it being an “organism.” The tour guide even mentioned that the pathways were like the arteries of the structure. This piece is mainly organic, and the brothers and the rock climbers just “go along with it.” Like life, all the changes that happen are spontaneous, and not always well thought out. The same is said for the changes that Big Bambu underwent these past few months. An enthralling experience, I’m glad I got to see it on its penultimate day.

What I DIDN’T like was being at the museum for 5 hours before going on the tour.. I honestly thought the line would be shorter since everyone already had so many chances these past few months to view it.

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Big Bambu Experience

1. esmaldone says:

Praveena, Congratulations! This makes a great story. You stood in line, waited for 5 hours to get your tour, on the day before the close of the event. Bravo! You will tell this story for a long time. Despite the fact that thousands of people saw this and took the tour, you are in a distinct minority! (I went twice and didn’t get to go up into the structure.) It is a real pity they couldn’t let people take their cameras.