Sign Language and Theater Vlog

Sorry that some of the signs are cut off at the bottom and aren’t visible. Something you’ll also notice is that I don’t sign all the words – that would be impossible and it isn’t something done in the deaf community. The message still gets across, which is what’s important. Also, this is my first time editing anything with iMovie – that’s why its not the greatest quality and all. But I hope you like it anyway 🙂

This entry was posted in Theater, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Sign Language and Theater Vlog

1. That was a great follow-up to your previous blog! (Which I did read last night, just didn’t post a comment xD). Very creative doing a blog in sign language. The only part I would know how to do was spell “Broadway,” because all I know is the alphabet in sign language. I did notice a slight struggle with the editing, but I can’t speak, seeing as I haven’t even tried editing yet!

Great job Beth!

2. ToniAnn Fanizzi says:

I really enjoyed watching this, Beth! I thought this was a very creative and interesting vlog idea. As I watched your video, I noticed that I was paying equal attention to your hands, mouth, and voice. While mouthing the words really aided in me understanding what you were saying with your hands, I don’t think I would have gotten everything if it weren’t for your dubbed voice and words on the bottom of the screen. I cannot imagine having to read sign language all the time instead of just hearing someone speak. What a privilege we have! I wonder if people who can’t hear still get the same effect as people who can hear when watching a “silent” show. Do they fill the silence with music, voices, and other sounds in their heads? It would be interesting to find out!

3. Susan Xu says:

This is so cool. I really personally can’t imagine how life would be without my hearing. After reading this blog along with your previous one, I also feel a little sad, but very thankful. I also think that in the future, this idea will be taken to another level. I remember overhearing someone talk about how they went to a opera that was in a different language. On the seats in front of you, there was a little screen that wold translate what was happening. I think this feature will soon be adapted to other theater productions so that it is more accessible.

4. esmaldone says:

Excellent and thoughtful post. The only thing I would have liked to see would be the Broadway clip with and without sound (since my Sign Language skills are non-existent). The short clip did give a sense of what it would be like to sit in silence. The issues of Sing Language and its role among the deaf is controversial. Like so many issues, there are not simple answers. Your blog post brings the issue into our discussion, for which I am grateful. I also think you did an excellent job of the technical aspects. You communicated a lot of information very succinctly (1:39!) Well done!

5. maggiedickinson says:

This also points to the ways in which technology enables us to raise issues that traditional term papers and class discussion might not allow. Imagine trying to make the same point (which you do very elegantly) about the experience of theater in the deaf community without the aid of this technology. Some information is communicated much more clearly in a visual format. I think this is a great example of that. Nice job.