“Raoul” at BAM

While I was looking for different events and shows to see in NYC, I found out about a new dance/theatre piece called “Raoul” at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. It is part of BAM’s 2010 Next Wave Festival, along with “Gezeiten,” which Shirley wrote about in an earlier blog post. “Raoul” is a solo work performed and choreographed by James Thiérrée, and the overall plot of the show is about a man whose home is constantly “shape-shifting.”

But while the audience may be drawn into the conflict in the storyline, they will be equally impressed with Thiérrée’s movements. I looked up a video of one of his past productions, “Au Revoir Parapluie,” and I found his movements unbelievable.

Au Revoir Parapluie

Specifically around the 40 second mark, the way he is able to maintain balance on top of the rocking chair is something that I can never imagine being able to do. But it gets better from there, as after he gets off the rocking chair, he tumbles and rolls on the floor. And while his movements look so fluid and free, there’s a lot of work and effort that needs to be done in order to actually do those movements, while making it seem effortless.

Raoul

And in the second clip, which is taken from an earlier performance of “Raoul,” Thiérrée once again pulls off an exciting and mesmerizing performance. Again, at around the 8 second mark, when he is slowly rolling down, he makes it look so easy and gentle even though it looks like it would obviously take a lot of strength and balance.

When I watched these videos, I found myself comparing Thiérrée’s performances to the Parson’s Dance show we saw in Bryant Park. While the two may look kind of similar, I think Parson’s Dance follows a traditional modern dance structure, while incorporating more graceful movements that are more like ballet. “Raoul” contains more acrobatics, and actually uses props, which I think makes it more interesting for the audience. While I loved Parson’s Dance, I think that James Thiérrée’s work is also worth seeing.

“Raoul” will be performed at BAM November 5 through the 14th.

Official Site

This entry was posted in Dance, Theater. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to “Raoul” at BAM

1. esmaldone says:

Sounds like an interesting show and a good choice for a small group outing.

2. November 5th through the 14th? That’s a very short time span! Would this be something that we would be able to go to, or is it difficult to get into like the Hotel exhibit? The tickets are a bit expensive as well… but looking at the official site, it seems artsy and interesting, and I could definitely sit for 80 minutes with no intermission to watch this!