Tupac Shakur=The Urban William Shakespeare????

The article on rapper Shyne made me think about something very interesting. It is clear that rap is a style of music generally with a thumping and catchy beat, but what about the words themselves? Can rap be considered not only a musical genre but also poetry? When you think about it rap and poetry share many similarities. Both usually employ some sort of rhyme scheme(although neither has to have one in order to be grouped in their respective categories), they both make use of many literary techniques such as metaphors and similes, both can be sung along with a tune(lyrical poetry like John Donne or T.S. Eliot), and both are great outlets for emotions and creativity. Although many associate rap with crude and vulgar subject matter there are many rap artists whose lyrics are poignant and powerful. If you were to look at the lyrics of some rap songs without knowing what it was, you may assume that the literature in front of you was in fact some form of poetry. When you really think about it quality rap could probably be classified as either  lyrical poetry or poetic prose. In fact, just recently a rap anthology entitled “The Anthology of Rap”(catchy no?) was published that brings together the lyrical poetry of many great rap artists. I personally look forward to reading this book and have been searching for it in stores. Take rappers like Talib Kweli or Lupe Fiasco  they are both very intelligent and creative people and this definitely comes through in their raps. Here’s a couple of samples from their work so you can get a better sense of what I’m talking about:

“My rhymes are like shot clocks,
interstate cops
and blood clots,
my point is your flow gets stopped.”
-Talib Kweli on “Hater Players”

“You stopping us is preposterous
like an androgynous misogynist,
you picking the wrong time, stepping to me when I’m in my prime
like Optimus, Transforming…”-Talib Kweli on “Twice inna Lifetime”

Some of your smartest have tried to artictulate
My whole part in this
But they’re fruitless in their harvestin’
The drow grows from my footsteps
I’m the one that they follow,
I am the one that they march with
(lemme put you on game)-Lupe Fiasco on “Put You on Game”

Maybe I’m a bit biased because I love rap and thus would rather it be considered poetry because of the connotation it gives off? regardless i definitely see the artistic quality in this musical genre, what do you guys think?

This entry was posted in Music. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Tupac Shakur=The Urban William Shakespeare????

1. Corina Yee says:

I have always been a huge fan of hip-hop and I have noticed before but I thought I was the only one who thought so. So, I definitely agree that raps are a form of poetry. People who do not like rap often have a negative view towards it because they have only heard pointless raps and therefore formed the conclusion of contempt, so they do not believe rap can be like an art form. But there are so many artists that actually talk about real topics such as those you mentioned (Talib Kweli and Lupe Fiasco).

2. esmaldone says:

Rap rarely rises to the level of real poetry. In fact, it does not NEED to rise to the level of poetry, because it is bound up with an elaborate package that includes music, rhythm, attitude, video, dancing, etc. etc.