Charitable Art

Canstruction is a really creative way to inspire charity with art.  Canstruction, a non-profit organization, holds competitions in cities where artists use canned food to make large structures.  When the competition is done, all the cans of food go to foodbanks in the city.  Canstruction in New York City is being held in the World Financial Center (near Battery Park).  The participating 25 teams together used an estimated amount of 100,000 cans to create structures located in the first and second level of the World Financial Center’s Winter Garden.  All of these cans will go to City Harvest after the competition is done, to feed the homeless and hungry in New York City.  These structures depict different images, often an image that somehow encourages people to fight against hunger.  Here is an example of one:

Can Mario 1-UP Hunger? by Severud Associates

“Can Mario 1-Up Hunger” was really cool and clever.  Unfortunately they didn’t have Luigi as well.

I had a lot of fun going around looking for the 25 structures in the World Financial Center.  I really liked how on the poster-boards placed next to each image, the main ingredients were listed.  For Mario, I think the main ingredients were cans of green beans, tomato sauce, refried beans, black beans, sauerkraut, bean salad, and sweet potatoes.  Mario actually has a different colored hat in the back!

Here is Canstruction’s Website
and here is an article about the event.
The show ends on Nov.22, but it would be great if you guys can find time to see it.

I’m not sure whether the artists can only used canned food, but some of them got creative.
Here is one of my favorites, called “A Smart Way to End Hunger”.

A Smart Way to End Hunger by NRI

Gatorade as Tail Lights

Packages of Black Beans as Tires

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Charitable Art

1. esmaldone says:

Very clever and creative. I wonder if Any Warhol had come up with this if these would suddenly become million-dollar artworks rather than dinner at the end of the exhibition?