The Art of Commuting

So as Alyssa and I were on our way to Iolanthe this afternoon we both remarked on the beautiful subway mosaics. Being the dork that I am, I took out my new camera and snapped some photos. These murals were amazing. Some of them went wall to wall and covered entire passageways in the subway. I wondered, who made these gigantic pieces of art? Who decides what piece gets to go up in which station? I’ll investigate and get back to you. For now, here are some of the pictures I took today:

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The Art of Commuting

1. egailing9 says:

I’m glad you did a post about this! This is one of the reasons that we should feel so lucky to live in a place like New York, where it is so easy to find beautiful artwork if you keep an eye out. Even in the subway, a place that many people would argue is just a dirty underground tunnel, there are amazing murals, mosaic art and vibrant colors. This class has gradually helped me realize that all over NYC, there is beauty and art to be appreciated.

2. esmaldone says:

Great post! Being culturally aware is just another way of saying “being aware.” The world around you is full of culture, whether you are in New York or the countryside. Sometimes the culture is right on the surface and sometimes it is in the minds and attitudes of the people from different parts of the world. this post tells me you have your receptors out. Very important.