Another taste of Gilbert & Sullivan

After having just gone to see Iolanthe as a class and discussing it’s ups and downs, I think it would be interesting to see another of Gilbert and Sullivan’s operettas. Many of our complaints (for those who did have them) were centered around the performance done by the Village Light Opera Company such as a lack of diction, and were not necessarily directed towards the actual show itself (which I happened to find very charming). This other show, which I came across in the NY Times, is called “Utopia Limited” and is being put on by the New York Gilbert & Sullivan Players in Symphony Space as of Sunday. Much like Iolanthe, it is a commentary on society and pokes fun at the uppermost British class with satire. It criticizes Britain’s hunger for land and power by setting the play in Utopia, a South seas island, where British government officials are left to follow Princess Zara, who was actually educated in England. The British bureaucrats are meant to straighten out the political affairs on the island where the Princess’ father has a monarchy.
“Utopia, Limited” was Gilbert and Sullivan’s second to last last work together and was hard to coordinate after a two year feud between the two men; this is why it hasn’t gotten as much recognition as some of Gilbert and Sullivan’s others and is said to be less funny. I know that we are all aware of how hard it is to work with someone else, especially when you are fighting with them! The other difficulty was that Sullivan was ill while composing, which could’ve also taken a toll on the value of it in comparison to their others.
Whether people like a show or not, it is still a great work of art to be simply appreciated at the very least.

View the “Utopia, Limited” review here.

This entry was posted in Theater. Bookmark the permalink.