Greg Antonelli – Tiffany Glass Exhibit

Most people think of diamonds or jewelry or other very expensive things when they here the name Tiffany. At least I do. However, the Queens Museum of Art has a furniture exhibit of Tiffany pieces focusing on glass as the main material of construction. The exhibit, aptly named Tiffany: The Glass, consists of eleven lamp shades, two windows and over two hundred sheet glass mosaic pieces. This is proof that some companies still strive to live up to there reputations no matter what. This company can produce beautiful, almost artistic items out of common, commercially available glass. The Tiffany company has a furnace in Corona where they do most of there work. The pieces in the Queens Museum of Art were made there. The textures and the colors of the glass were picked and mixed to emulate nature and elements from the world. Louis Comfort Tiffany has provided artistic direction for all of the pieces in the museum. It’s amazing how common sheet glass can be turned, by someone with talent, into beautiful artistic pieces (I’m sure it bumps up the price of the glass a little too)

One Response to Greg Antonelli – Tiffany Glass Exhibit

1. esmaldone says:

I didn’t know that Tiffany Glass had a furnace in Queens, but I’m not too surprised. Steinway pianos are still manufactured in Queens as well. the borough has long provided manufacturing space to major industries that wanted close proximity to the markets and show rooms of Manhattan. There are still artists who work with Stained Glass (there are some pieces in the Rosenthal Library in one of the lounge areas.)