Puccini’s “Fanciulla del West” at the Metropolitan Opera

After watching Cosi fan Tutte and having a wonderful time at the Metropolitan Opera, I wanted to learn more about other operas being performed at the Met this season. I found this article in the New York Times discussing Puccini’s opera, which runs from December 10th to January 8th.

Deborah Voigt and Marcello Giordani in "Fanciulla"

“Fanciulla del West” is an American opera that reflects the “coming of age of opera in America.” In 1907, during his first visit to New York City, Giacomo Puccini saw a play called, “The Girl of the Golden West” by David Belasco, and was inspired to base his “American” opera on it. Giulio Gatti-Casazza, who was the head of the Metropolitan Opera during that time, convinced Puccini that “Fanciulla del West” should have its world premiere at the Met. There was so much excitement surrounding the new opera, that the tickets (which were sold at twice the normal Met prices) sold out almost instantly, and tickets were scalped for 30 times their price.

About “Fanciulla,” Puccini said, “For this drama I have composed music that, I feel sure, reflects the spirit of the American people and particularly the strong, vigorous nature of the West. I have never been West, but I have read so much about it that I know it thoroughly.” Despite all of the anticipation, the opera received harsh reviews from critics who said the opera was “inauthentic.” “Fanciulla” is very different from Puccini’s other operas; there’s no blood, no death, and no dramatic ending, which probably caused some of the bad reviews by critics.

Despite this, “Fanciulla del West” is celebrating it’s centenary on December 10th, and it’s effects on opera today are definitely more appreciated. It helped establish America as a cultural world-power, and led to the creation of more American operas, during a time where opera was dominated by German operas.

I think it would be really interesting to see “Fanciulla del West” knowing what an impact it has had on opera in America. It would also make for a good comparison with “Cosi fan Tutte,” to see how the musical styles in both operas differ from one another.

This is an audio slideshow of “Fanciulla del West” narrated by Deborah Voigt, courtesy of the Metropolitan Opera:

This entry was posted in Music, Theater. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Puccini’s “Fanciulla del West” at the Metropolitan Opera

1. esmaldone says:

Somehow seeing cowboys and cowgirls walking around singing Puccini is just too weird for words.