Artists who will struggle just a little less:

Of course, being an artist and getting your art out there into the world is not an easy task. Struggling artists are pretty much a staple of New York City. Well, Jacob Lewis and Dana Goodyear made it easier for one group of artists to get their work out there. Figment.com is a new website where young writers can get their work out there for others to read. It is a user generated content site designed for any type of literature postings. Its actually a pretty fun site.

Ok, I don’t know the reaction I’ll get to this but I’ll say it anyway. My friend recently made me a tumblr account and demanded I at least give the site a shot. tumblr.com is basically a huge blog site where people can “follow” other people and create one massive “feed” of posts. Now you can tailor your tumblr to anything you like by choosing who you follow. If you want poetry you can follow users who post poems, if you want art you can follow users who post photography or visual art. Since the site is user generated it is an essentially unlimited supply of culture streaming through. (ok, true, some people just use tumblr to post funny online videos and pictures but you can tailor the tumblr to whatever you’d like).

One Response to Artists who will struggle just a little less:

1. esmaldone says:

I’m not sure I see the different between tumblr and Facebook, except that it is a different community. I couldn’t see anything without joining. Figment at least had a “library” section which would be a place to see writings. Have you posted anything of yours on this site? CDbaby is a similar kind of music web site, which allows you to post anything and serves as a way for you to let other people know about your music and download (and purchase) it. The lack of any editorial oversight is at once incredibly liberating and frustrating aspect of this sort of web-based venture.

click here for CDBaby