Liquid Sculptures

Recently, I discovered a new type of art that combines the use of science as well. After looking at some of the works, I was really impressed at its beauty. For those who do not know, liquid sculpture images are fluids in motion, frozen in time by a flash of light. They are droplets witnessed in mid-splash.

The man most responsible for creation of such art is named Martin Waugh. Martin’s utilizes high-speed photography make it possible to capture the smooth and effortless curves of the liquid beauty. He captures the droplets with a very high speed flash photography and with no alteration with the shapes or composition. The main effort of his work though, is orchestrating the lights and liquids to create the colors and shapes. He orchestrates these sculptures by accurately aiming the drops and releasing them with precise timing. Color, viscosity, and surface tension are controlled with dye, glycerin, and soap.

Waugh shows us the beauty of the free flowing aspect of water, producing a very calm and peace feel. He also gives each of his works a name, which relates to the picture that is being portrayed. For example, “Big Hat Little Head” shown below, possesses such a name because the large droplet on top looks like a hat.

"Big Hat Little Head" (left) & "Windshield" (right)

"Old Glory Bowl"

Waugh’s work has also been used in advertisements for famous companies like Smirnoff.

Waugh & Smirnoff

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Liquid Sculptures

1. esmaldone says:

Yet another highly creative re-invention of media. This is in the never ending search for new ideas, new media, new process, new use of technology. The x-ray photographer and the street gum painter are in the same general vein. this is all indicative of the incredible resources and opportunities that exist if you just look hard enough. It is encouraging to see that “new” is still something worth pursuing.

2. nzeblisky says:

Those are really beautiful pictures and I think it’s amazing that he was able to capture the photos at exactly the right time. I wonder how long it takes him to get it right- it probably could get frustrating to be that exact.

3. Susan Xu says:

this is so cool!
    I especially like the last image, where the water sculpture was used as an illusion of a glass cup. It’s so interesting to see how art has evolve and how photography ceases to amaze me even though it documents aspects of real life.