Einstein of Edibles

It seems as though every once and a while someone blogs about “art and science.” Another common theme has been “art and food.” So i figure why not blog about “art and science and food.” Art is something that can be experienced and appreciated on many different levels. Part of this experience and its multifaceted nature can be due to the art stimulating multiple senses. Looking at visual art(whether a movie or something like the microscopic art I blogged about earlier), while music is simultaneously being played not only can raise the quality of each art form, but it can make you feel as though you are being completely engulfed by creative fusion. Being able to physically feel something with your

Scrambled Egg Ravioli

hands, while at the same time connecting to it on an intellectual level is another way art’s complexity can be felt. So how about appreciating the beauty of an artistic creation, witnessing a creation that was made possible by scientific

and technological innovation, and being able to PUT THAT MASTERPIECE IN

YOUR MOUTH AND EAT IT ? I love

watching Food Network(as I’ve told you all before) and one of my favorite chef’s is a creative genius, his name is Wylie Dufresne. Dufresne is currently one of the most prominent American molecular gastronomists. He approaches every dish, both well known favorites as well as odd combonations, with the mind of artist and scientist. I can’t even begin to explain some of the techniques he uses. Just know that one of his creations is “cold fried chicken” where he somehow is able to make a piece of chicken that is hot and

The Amazing Cold Fried Chicken

fried on the exterior but when you bite into it, it’s chilled. He was inspired by leftover fried chicken, and wanted to somehow concoct a way to infuse both temperature qualities in to one dish. He also likes to work with liquid nitrogen, which allows him to quick freeze substances that under normal conditions would never freeze. It’s almost as if he’s toying with the rules of nature. All of this creativity and he manages to create enticing and delicious food(or so I’ve heard), he truly is an “Einstein of Edible.” You can check out other examples of molecular gastronomy online like edible cocktails that have been treated with liquid nitrogen as well.

Ricotta and Honey Dessert

The Website of Dufresne’s Lower East Side Restaurant wd-50
wd-50 promo

One Response to Einstein of Edibles

1. esmaldone says:

These look quite beautiful and the combinations are intriguing. I would be especially impressed if they actually taste good!