Slowing Time

Another interesting idea with the use of technology: Time Warp. Artists use high definition cameras and slow motion effects to capture and watch an event unfold in speeds up to 20000X slower. The resulting product is extremely cool:

If you guys are interested in seeing this type of art form, there’s a Discovery channel show called Time Warp that airs Wednesdays at 8. The point of the show is to capture everyday events and then view them is slow motion in order to unveil the principles of physics in our lives.

Out of all the little clips in the video, I think the ones involving water and the human face are the most intriguing. Water has this amazingly beautiful quality to it and I think it is shown very clearly here. It’s also interesting to see our faces warp in different situations. Like in the scene where the guy is getting punched, you can see a series of emotions through his facial expressions.

I think this is such a cool idea, because we get to see everyday things we would miss or not think twice about. Also I think the city is so fast-paced that sometime we can just stop and look around.

3 Responses to Slowing Time

1. esmaldone says:

This makes me think of mathematicians, on the one hand, who see complex formulas of fluids in the changing shape of the balloon and the spreading water, and artists, on the other hand, who see the same thing as an expressive gesture. I think there is artistry and beauty in both perspectives.

2. Susan Xu says:

i accidently posted the wrong video. here’s the one that shows all the little clips