Miley Cyrus: Too much too fast?

If I know who Miley Cyrus is, then everyone else must know her, because I don’t bother listening to the radio, watching television, or reading magazines.

She started rising to fame when she became the star of the Disney Channel Show, “Hannah Montana.” A show about a girl living a double life, stuck between being a regular girl and a world famous pop star. Ever since this show premiered on Disney Channel (March 26, 2006) I personally couldn’t stand her. She became a star with a horrible, nasally singing voice that screamed “NO TALENT!” every time she opened her mouth.

But I still had a certain amount of respect for her. Her character was a great role model for young girls. A great relationship with her father, putting her friends first, an all around good girl who always learned to keep her priorities straight at the end of each episode.

The fourth season of that show is continuing this year. However, we all know that she also released her album “Can’t Be Tamed” on June 21st, 2010. She lost the wig and decided to “break out.” As she said in an interview (for the actual article, click here) “I work really hard to be fit and to know that I can wear whatever makes me most comfortable. I feel more comfortable dressing with a little less, which is just how I’ve always been. Now I’m able to do that a little more freely and, also, I’ve just grown up to be this way too. It’s not like this was me five years ago. It’s me now, presently.”

And that’s all fine and dandy. But keep in mind she has a lot of young fans that she picked up while being “good-girl Stewart” on her Disney Channel show. I don’t have any children of my own, but I certainly wouldn’t want my kids to watch a 17 year old girl in super shorts and no undershirt dancing against a crowd of older people in a bar. Trying to break out and grow up isn’t a bad idea, but the transformation she underwent was too fast. It was a shocking change, and kids are bound to get the wrong message out of it. Cyrus isn’t even legal yet; should she be allowed to make decisions like this which affect so many?

I don’t see the talent. I never did. But now that she’s lost the ability to say that she’s a great role model for kids, I don’t see the worth in her either.

Below is her music video “Who Owns My Heart,” which brought about one of the more recent controversies about how grown-up she’s trying to be.

Who owns my heart?
Is it love or is it art

Where’s the art? A 17 year old trying too hard to grow up?

This entry was posted in Music. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Miley Cyrus: Too much too fast?

1. Sandra Lau says:

Well I’m guessing that you didn’t read an interview about her father’s opinions on how she chooses to grow up, he actually supports her. From one of the articles that I’ve read, he says she’s just trying to grow up like many girls her age are. I found that statement very offensive, Miley Cyrus is our age and I think it’s unfair to put judgment on all 18 year old girls to justify her inappropriate behavior. I think she’s going to be the next Lindsay Lohan, I’m just waiting for the news of Miley going into rehab or jail.

2. Ooh, link please Sandra?

“Like many girls her age are.” Keyword is MANY, so thankfully, not ALL 18 year olds should be grouped together when discussing how we try to become adults. I’ve yet to go to a club. ;_; Le Poisson Rouge doesn’t count!

The question is how many and what kind of decisions should Miley be allowed to make as a girl who isn’t even 18 yet (turns 18 next month)?

3. Alexandra Nicoletti says:

Wow. After watching the whole thing, I’m left wondering a few things…
    Wasn’t her original style country? Where did the mainstream pop come from?
    And she’s 17? A year or two younger than most of us?

We can’t expect her to be the teenybopper Hannah Montana forever. She’s growing up, just like we are. However, since she’s in the public eye, this transformation – which may have seemed right and subtle to her – is ripped to shreds by the media. Though I agree when people say that it was quite an abrupt change, especially regarding her age, was it really such a shock? It had to have happened sooner or later.

Yet, we have to consider her audience at the same time. The little ones expecting to see the blond-wig and preteen purity of Montana will be quite confused when seeing this video. Let’s hope they don’t try this at home.