I know this is over-blogged about, but…

I love the topic of graffiti in New York City. I simply feel that this city would not be the same without the artists who (illegally) display their work on the city walls. Yes, there are those who say that graffiti is “destroying the city” and that there should be harsh laws against, but I still think that most of it is beautiful.

One spot that I think is particularly beautiful is the Freedom Tunnel in Harlem. I found this tunnel’s beauty almost by accident. Its knows as one of the “secret beauties” of New York City among the circles who think graffiti is beautiful. The tunnel is an old diesel amtrak line that is hardly used anymore, since most trains are now electrified, so you’re able to walk across the tracks without much danger. It is seriously something to be able to walk across a train track when you’re told all your life to beware of them. My friend and I had fun with that. Anyway, a couple of friends had arranged a trip to go and explore the tunnels in a big group but I couldn’t attend so one friend and I went another day. It was gorgeous. Where the light poured into the tunnel from above it was seriously stunning.

At the time I was producing a music video and I knew that this tunnel just had to be in the video. This is an excerpt of what I filmed in the tunnel. (the song is about discovering what is “real” and what is not, so the tunnel metaphor really worked to my advantage. The music video featured various street musicians.)

I am not doing justice to explaining this tunnel so I’ll let these people do it (I know this is really an advertisement for a boot company but I still think they do the best job of explaining the wonder of this tunnel)

Click here for the video

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to I know this is over-blogged about, but…

1. esmaldone says:

Very interesting to see so many abandoned “ruins” within the city. We think of the city as a crowded place where every inch is utilized. There is a surprising number of “raw” spaces to be found.