Some Fine…Architecture

I have always had an interest in architecture and was always amazed at how some of the structures in the world were built such as Beijing’s “Birdnest”, Dubai’s “Burj Al Arab”, Rem Koolhaas’ “Seattle Central Library”,

Rem Koolhaus' "Seattle Central Library" - Best Architecture Since 1980

and even Paris’ “Eiffel Tower”. Architecture is definitely a type of art that requires a great deal of creativity because the finalized product will be placed on a street that people will see EVERYDAY, while works such as canvas paintings may only be seen in galleries by a few.

My interest in architecture was suddenly sparked after reading an article on the upcoming opening of the 20-story, 76-unit condominium located on the Upper West Side, called the Laureate. This new building will carry the vibe of buildings from the prewar period such as the early 20th century. I think this is a very creative idea because it is “out with the new and in with the old”, which reminded me of how fashion works too since many times, the new trend seems to be a remix of how fashion trends popular years ago. But going back to the Laureate, the interior of the building possesses the feeling of the 20th century time period as well with the baseboards, herringbone wood floors, and layouts with long halls. The homes will include large energy efficient, sound attenuated windows, separate dining and lounging areas, over-sized bathrooms, and eat-in kitchens with custom-designed faucets and hardware. This luxurious condominium is located on the corner of 76th street and Broadway that will range from $1.7 million to $8.33 million for each apartment. I would definitely not mind spending even a day in one of these rooms.

This magnificent building is designed by SLCE Architects, one of the leading residential architecture firms with over sixty years of experience. Some of their other projects include “The Visionaire” in the Battery Park neighborhood and the “Metropolitan Tower” of Midtown Manhattan.

The Laureate

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Some Fine…Architecture

1. esmaldone says:

Actually, this does not look much like a pre-war building, which usually has red brick and lots of interesting details. funny, I was thinking about architecture on my way home from Iolanthe. As I drove through China town, I saw many old buildings with interesting architectural details. These were not (and are not) fancy buildings, they just speak of an era in architecture when these details were not “extra” but spoke to the care and craftsmanship of the architects and the workmen who built them. Ask me to tell you my “herringbone pattern” story.