Katayama Doesn’t Need a Paintbrush Or An Easel

If it wasn’t for this article , I probably would not have known that the man who designed the interior of one of the most popular stores in SoHo, Uniqlo, was Masamichi Katayama. I remember the first time I walked into this store was because I was drawn in by the modern and unique showcase in the middle of the store that I saw outside as I was walking pass during my frequent shopping trips on Broadway.

After reading this article and seeing the work he has done, I realized that Mr. Katayama is now my most favorite interior designer. He has truly made building and stores an amazing sight to see. What made me like his work the most is the modern feel I get when looking at his works, which kind of exemplifies the change in appearance of our society compared to even a decade ago. For popular brand name stores, customers can now appreciate the brand’s facility along with the fashion itself. because of Katayama. His other impressive works include the design of a “Nike” store in Japan, “Godiva” in the Harajuku district, and most of the “A Bathing Ape” stores. The most unique aspect of the “Godiva” building he designed is the ceiling made to look like melting chocolate.

The ceiling of melting chocolate

Katayama’s work is very creative as he plays on the factor of relating the design of the building to the type of store he is designing. What struck me the most in the article was when he said, “I would like to create a building that includes every possible facility such as a hospital, a school, a hotel, retail stores…To create a town within a building.” Now, that would definitely be a sight to see.

One of his newest projects will be debuting soon in Midtown Manhattan when the new Uniqlo branch opens up on Fifth Avenue. I can not wait to visit that venue, ready to see what he has “in store” for us. (Like my play on words?) This will be his fourth conribution to the Uniqlo stores, his other two designs are located in London and Paris branches.

BAPE Los Angeles Store

Nike of Harajuku

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Katayama Doesn’t Need a Paintbrush Or An Easel

1. esmaldone says:

Stores like this are all about “high concept.” Unfortunately, you have to pay a lot for this and you don’t get to take it home with you. I think it is interesting to see how this works, but it is not very different from the image that a designer like Ralph Lauren creates with the wood panels, brass fittings and design features of his signature stores. A lot of this effort goes to help make the customer excited about the product (so you buy it!).