Series For the Arts

Reading this very short description in the New York Times, it appears that the second season of a certain series will premiere online March 1st. A documentary series, to be precise, titled “Made Here,” which “chronicles the lives of performing artists in New York.”  The goal of this online series (according to the director Chiara Clemente and the producer Tanya Selvaratnam) is to inspire support for the arts.  Something interesting to note though, is that this documentary series seems to be based solely on performing artists only.

Financed in part by the Rockerfeller Foundation, this series began last spring. It focuses on what an artist needs in order to survive in New York City (real estate, technology, day jobs, etc). In the second season aspects of the career in New York City such as money, longevity, and inspiration will be discussed.

Something interesting to note is that this documentary series seems to be aimed primarily at performing artists. What about other types of artists? Looking at it from this point of view, it seems that the filmmakers are trying to encourage others to pursue the arts as a career. I know that there are people out there that would like an art-centered career, but are concerned about how to make a stable living out of this. Performing on stage is one thing, but what about those that want to pursue art in another form off the stage? This series is very clear in the beginning that it focuses on the performing arts. On their main-page (their website can be viewed at http://www.madehereproject.org/), it states in a big font size, “MADE HERE is a documentary series devoted to the challenging lives of performing artists in New York City.” So sorry to anyone else hesitating to make a living out of any other art form.

If they could perhaps expand their series so that performing artists, musicians, abstract expressionists, or whatever kinds of artists can vouch for their career, then I would find this an excellent idea. However, as it stands now, it’s just a good thought that focuses specifically on one type of art. Maybe different online series for the different kinds of arts?

I wish I could embed the trailer for the second season, but I can’t! But if you click the link above and go to their main-page, it has the trailer right there!

Also, I found this older New York Times Article which discusses the series, just in case the more recent one was too short!

This entry was posted in Theater, Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Series For the Arts

1. esmaldone says:

There is a reason that the “starving artist” is such an enduring metaphor. This is an interesting video about the psychology of striving. It is a good warning to heed! A certain percentage of starving artists are not happy to be starving, but are happy to be striving!