Lyrical Abstraction

There is a new exhibition now at The Hebrew Home at Riverdale called, “Lyrical Abstraction: Works from the Permanent Collection by Natvar Bhavsar and Robert Natkin.” When I first saw this, I had no idea what lyrical abstraction was, until I looked it up and learned that it was a period in America from the 1960’s-1970’s. It is characterized by a focus on color and texture, which is the first thing you notice when you look at paintings in that style.

This piece, by Robert Natkin, was painted between 1978 and 1979. When I first saw it, I was reminded of Vir Heroicus Sublimus by Barnett Newman, the piece we saw at the Moma. It is so simple, yet complex. At first glance, it may just look like a reddish blob, but after close inspection, you can see the different shades and colors that the artist used, and how it is able to capture the observer’s eye.

This piece by Natvar Bhasvar was made between 1986 and 1991, and although it was painted far after the period of Lyrical Abstraction, I think it really capture’s the spirit of the period. The center is a bright yellow, but the outer edges are darker, as though the center is a bright flame that is fighting against the darkness surrounding it. There is also some red speckled at the bottom and bottom-right, which gives the painting more texture and color, and adds more depth to it.

I think this looks like a great exhibition to introduce someone to a very interesting style called Lyrical Abstraction, and I think it will definitely be a worthwhile visit. The exhibition is at The Hebrew Home at Riverdale until January 9, 2011.
Official Site

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Lyrical Abstraction

1. esmaldone says:

Nice post. It is interesting how different abstract artists latch on to different aspects of “abstractness.”