Nuyorican Poets Cafe

Last Wednesday, we went to a poetry reading in Rosenthal Library and it made me realize that poetry isn’t really an art form  that we generally talk about.  Art is though, a means of expressing ourselves, and many people do that through poetry.  Poetry is not only meant to be read, but it can also be performed to better show the emotion that the poet is using.

The Nuyorican Poets Cafe is located at 236 East 3rd Street in Manhattan.  In 1989, this poetry club was the first place to hold a poetry slam in New York City.  Since then, the club has built up its reputation and increased the number of events it holds.  Like Birdland, this club has regular events weekly as well as special events.  Every Wednesday night, there is a poetry slam that anyone can participate in- as long as you are one of the first 20 poets to arrive and sign up.  There are also poetry slams on Friday nights, and after they end, the room is open for anyone who wishes to read his poems with no judges.  I think that places like this are great for people to openly express themselves with peers of similar interests.

Below, I’m posting a link just to show how powerful the feelings behind a poet can be.

My public speaking teacher showed us a great video of a poetry reading last year, I’m still trying to find it.  If I do, I’ll definitely post it

I found it! I just remembered the name…a little late but anyway here it is, watch this one!

One Response to Nuyorican Poets Cafe

1. esmaldone says:

Powerful and inspiring. I hope their words are heard by many.