Design Festivities- Beyond the 2-D Painting Canvas.

Dongdaemun History and Culture Park, designed by Zaha Hadid

The picture speaks a thousand times the amount of words than the article that goes along with it.

Briefly going over the topic of the article, September and October both mark months of design festivals scattered all around Europe. Cities such as London, Amsterdam, Brussels, and Helsinki all host design fairs that introduce fresh ideas, bring back renowned designers, and host a series of exhibition that pertain to the theme of the fair (i.e. Dutch Design Double Program’s theme this year is “Redesign the World”)

Design, whether it be architectural design or graphic design, has always struck me as an art different than art which is literally painted on a canvas. The phrase “eye for design” really comes in handy when trying to separate the two arts. It’s based on how you organize; where certain objects are placed, the colors you choose, the techniques you use to portray your purpose in this piece. I have experimented with image editing software such as Photoshop for two years, and it’s taught me the importance of structure. Arranging each layer, setting a focal point for the piece using techniques such as a lighting source, making the text compliment the subject instead of overriding it, etc.

Culture Park (see picture above) is in its first phase of design, which is designed by architecture Zaha Hadid. The unique shaping and lighting of this work in progress already has me excited for what the final outcome will look like.

Structure and organization is something that I like to have in my life, so art such as graphic design or architecture is something I tend to lean towards. But how about everyone else? Do you see design as an art that requires structure? Do you prefer to see a certain amount of organization in the pieces that you view?

This entry was posted in Visual Arts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Design Festivities- Beyond the 2-D Painting Canvas.

1. esmaldone says: