Democratic Media

“The Tavern on the Green” case was small relative to the other projects the Commissioner waged against communities. The difference is this venture had profound effects on the image and power of Robert Moses, quite unlike the rest. The reason, of course, was the involvement of the media, which had previously all but ignored protests against Moses’s plans. But in these circumstances, namely the affluence of the neighborhood in the Upper West Side, the media had to respond, ultimately declaring “the Mothers of Central Park” the winners

Caro seems to take this as a victory on the side of democracy. The idea that ordinary citizens, mainly consisting of mothers, can sway public policy resonates in this chapter. He stresses the fact that the type of exposure experienced by Robert Moses was unprecedented (only in his case, of course). And what is the purpose of democratic media if not to enlighten citizens?

I would probably agree that democracy won some points in it’s struggle against merciless efficiency. Still, there is something unsettling about the cause of this victory. There is an obvious flaw in our system, in which the wailing of the many poor are ignored over the cries of the fewer rich.

About Avichai Vazana

My name is Avichai Vazana. I was born in Johannesburg, South Africa, and moved to America when I was 8 years old. I chose Macaulay because of the wide opportunities...and the laptop.
This entry was posted in February 13. Bookmark the permalink.