Parks Update

There’s a website called Save Flushing Meadows-Corona Park – it’s protesting the fact that 5% of the park is under threat of private development. The website itself has got a lot of info (there’s also a blog on the site), and there was an even a community board meeting just this past Monday. I think it would be an interesting issue to explore – especially because I am not sure it is 100% clear that the private development of 5% of the park is entirely bad.

Also, here’s a petition on change.org concerning the proposed private development.

Also, my research led me to the website of the New York City Economic Development Corporation. Under the tab “Projects,” they have a section titled “Parks and Public Spaces,” under which they have a tab about Flushing Commons. It looks to be a prodigious project, however, I am not sure that it pertains to parks (it seems they are merely reconverting a parking lot?). Here’s another website. I don’t know if this a route we want to take, but I think it would be interesting to discuss developments occurring right in the backyard of QC.

About Leah

I am sitting next to Ayala Magder. She's my bestest friend in the whole universe.
This entry was posted in Manhattan Parks. Bookmark the permalink.