Outline for Class Project

Many immigrants from Latin America and the Caribbean islands all share a common, unanimous story about when they first arrived in America, particularly New York City: they were not ready for the weather. For my portion of the class project, I would like to focus on clothing worn by people of these two groups, analyzing what’s common in their countries of origin and how they had to modify their outfits once they came here. For specifics, there are events such as the Festival in Trinidad and Tobago and Rio de Janeiro where flamboyant, albeit often meaningful, attire is worn that is not commonplace on American streets. In Latin America, a young girl’s quinceanera is an extremely important event for which her dress is half the meaning. However, once immigrants from these groups arrive here, many of them seem to lose their vibrant attire for more practical clothing and it would be interesting to research the differences in wardrobe and try to understand the brands many of Latin and Caribbean immigrants buy in America and why.

(Side note: don’t know if this will be useful but I can sew!)