Project Topic Proposal

At special events, traditional and cultural forms of dress become more obvious, so I think that would be a good area to focus on for the final project. However, so that there isn’t a lot of overlap between the religious papers and the quinceñera page, I would like to focus specifically on weddings. Weddings are influenced by both the religious and cultural upbringing of the couple so they tend to maintain a lot of the traditional values even after the couple has been in America for generations. The sacred nature of weddings allow them to be very enlightening for our purposes of studying how culture is adapted to work better within American Values.

I would divide my paper first by cultures and then compare the traditional weddings to their Americanized counterparts explaining the significance of each change along the way. I specifically plan to look at Indian, Jewish, and Mexican weddings because they have very specific customs.

I plan on using online texts and conduct personal interviews for my research. There are also a lot of cultural weddings depicted on TV and in movies so I would like to incorporate those into my webpage.