Macaulay Honors College Seminar 2, IDC 3001H

The Hidden Cost of Becoming Americanized

In class today, we discussed how immigrants are forced to assimilate into American society. One point that struck a chord with me, was that the English language is harshly imposed on immigrant children in school. I have experienced a similar situation since my parents are immigrants from Slovakia. When I was a child, they spoke both Slovak and English around the house. Thus, I sometimes spoke a mixture of the two languages when I was in school. One day, I told my kindergarten teacher, “Môj žalúdok bolí;” meaing that my stomach hurt. She understood what I was saying because I was rubbing my stomach while speaking. Despite this mutual understanding, she decided to hold a conference with my parents about my bilingual abilities. She recommended that they stop speaking Slovak around the house because it was harming my communication skills. They saw the practicality in this and complied with her request.

This decision came with an unintended cost. When I was in kindergarten, I had not only been the best English speaker in the class, but had also spoken fluent Slovak. Unfortunately, my fluency in the Slovak language depleted as the years went on due to a lack of practice. By the time that my younger sister was born, my parents had completely stopped speaking Slovak at home. Luckily, my early exposure to the language allowed me to comprehend it at family gatherings and church events. However, my sister was not able to say the same. To this day, she is unable to understand only a few Slovak phrases and has had a difficult time learning the language. This has hurt her ability to communicate with our grandparents who exclusively speak Slovak. Her ability to delve into her ethnicity has been shattered.

Language is an important part of one’s culture. The ability to comprehend something that not everybody can make sense of, connects people, joining them in a secret society of mutual respect and cultural appreciation. Thus, losing the ability to speak one’s native language can truly disconnect oneself from one’s roots. The fact that some immigrants in New York City are frowned upon for retaining fluency in their native languages, is rather hypocritical. If New York City is supposed to be a place that celebrates diversity, then why is there an incessant desire to Americanize all immigrants who reach its shores? Where should we draw the line when it comes to cultural assimilation? When is an immigrant truly considered to be integrated into American life in every way? Is it when he or she has been absolved of all remnants of his or her past life in another country? I admit that it is important for immigrants to embrace American culture when they come to the United States, especially by learning the English language, but it is also crucial that they maintain ties to their ancestral practices. One’s background makes one unique. With uniqueness comes strength. This is what cultural assimilation destroys.

BY: Annmarie Gajdos

1. David Rosenberg

I’m surprised that the teacher made that recommendation. Aside from her cultural insensitivity, she ignored the pretty well-established fact that growing up bilingual has lots of cognitive and intellectual benefits for people throughout their lives.

2. Amanda Zhang

I agree with Annmarie completely. I do understand the point of view of people who believe that immigrants who come to the United States should assimilate to the American culture and learn to speak the English language. They might say that since they came to the United States, they should try to integrate and fit into their new country because otherwise what was the point of coming. There are people who frown upon people who speak different languages and have different cultures than that of “America” because they pride themselves in being American. But what exactly does being American constitute? America had always been a country of immigrants and of people from all over the world, and especially recent years. I think it is important for immigrants who come to the United States to retain their language and culture and pass it onto their children and future generations who may be born in the US. A person can still be American and yet speak a different language and have a different culture. That’s the beauty of America which lies in its diversity. If schools and the government try to force students and immigrants to abandon their cultural ties and completely embrace the English language and American culture, then what makes America different from any other country in the world?