At Lampix, we are building an Augmented Reality device that can turn any surface into an interactive screen with a proprietary software for object recognition and machine learning. Our software team is based in Romania. In our New York branch, we have our hardware lab and marketing operations. I am the only electrical engineer working in the hardware lab currently, along with two other mechanical engineers. While the mechanical engineers are responsible for designing the exterior of the device and sourcing mechanical components, my job entails optimizing all the electrical circuit performance, testing circuit parameters and sourcing electrical parts. Below I will list some of my accomplishments in this role:     

Latest PCB Design: This is the final version of my designed PCB. This circuit board will supply power in 5V, 12V and 19V rails. It incorporates embedded switchers from TI, Transistors and load switch. The embedded switchers are well researched, designed and simulated in TI WEBENCH before implementing in a CAD design.

Pulse Width Modulation: I have designed a pulse width modulation protocol for a dynamic RGB LED appearance by controlling and varying the light color and appearance of our augmented reality device. Upon a request from our marketing team, I have devised this module for enhancing the visual aesthetic of the product.  The RGB Led strip is powered by a DC 12V source. There are three independently controlled MOSFETs that dictate the operation of each color. The duty cycle of the LEDs are controlled via an Intel microprocessor. I wrote the python code for running this RGB PWM. 

PCB Design: Inside our augmented reality device we have a power circuit that was initially a wired connection. My job was to convert this wired circuit into an integrated PCB model. So, far I have created two prototypes. The next and final prototype is aimed to eliminate all the wired connection and it is to be used in our five hundred product run. I spent my first week at work understanding the circuit and developing a manual prototype for how the PCB should look like on a Veroboard by soldering the components manually. This handmade prototype was a green light for my PCB design to send out to a fabrication house. 

First PCB Model:    

This simple PCB model was my first prototype to understand all the moving parts and it was sent for printing within my second week at work. It encompasses a power and ground rail, two step-down buck converters, pins for a DC Power Jack, a switch and holes for connecting the power pins of a projector.

The printed product looks like this: 

Although it’s rudimentary, the board was able to eliminate most of the wired connections.

Second PCB Model:   The second model is more robust and sophisticated as it replaces the previously used step down buck converters with TI’s embedded power switchers. I have researched, tested and simulated my power circuit design with TI WEBENCH and then converted the design into Eagle Schematic for turning it into a PCB model.  

Image: Power Circuit Design, BOM and Simulation in TI WEBENCH

I have designed a way to incorporate a universal switch that can easily turn on/off all the components with a single user input.