The Limits of Being Tasteful?

The act of being tasteless is defined as lacking in politeness, seemliness, or tact. One of the easiest ways for a subject to be placed in a category of tastelessness is to talk negatively about a tragedy soon after it happens. This raises the question, does the article “The Limits of Remembrance” by David Rieff qualify for a category of tastelessness?

Some may argue that “The Limits of Remembrance” details the truth in its rawest form. The idea that the horrific attacks on September 11th, 2001 would lose their strength in the minds of Americans is a powerful statement that could possibly happen. Rieff’s comparison to a diminishing remembrance of Pearl Harbor is an example which holds weight when compared to the terrorist attacks on 9/11. Both events were extreme tragedies in American history and both also had political connotation. Rieff describes the use of the 9/11 memorial in a political way–to never forget that there may have been an attack on American freedoms (instead of a dislike of the American actions around the world)– and in doing so he brings to light that the attack and the memorial also have connections to politics.

Personally, while I find David Rieff’s view to definitely hold weight, I believe that the ten year anniversary of 9/11 is too soon to be mentioning how it will be forgotten or how political the memorial will be. As a New Yorker who experienced the events of 9/11 while in my household, I still remember the day to be traumatizing to my family (especially to my mother who previously worked at the World Trade Center buildings). The attacks of 9/11 still linger in the back of the minds of every New Yorker and possibly every American.

When we step foot onto a plane and we need to go through extreme security measures, we’re reminded of the attacks.

When we look at the New York City skyline and see the two towers missing, we’re reminded of the attacks.

When we see a plane fly overhead close to the ground, we’re reminded of the attacks.

When we see terrorist activities in other countries, we’re reminded of the attacks.

Some of us may be reminded almost every day of what happened on that day, some of us may be reminded once a year, but when most New Yorkers remember what happened that day, their first reaction is not to think of politics. Most New Yorkers remember the videos of the people jumping out of the building, the ash covered businessmen running in fear down the street, the firefighters who ran into the building minutes before it collapsed, the clergymen at the scene of the attacks giving religious service to those in need, and most prominently, the video footage of the plane going into the actual tower.

While Rieff could be correct about the political connotation of the 9/11 memorial, I believe it’s too soon to be making statements of that nature. When that day comes on Sunday, we will gather together as a united American people to remember what happened ten years ago. I believe it is a time to honor those who sadly perished and to not be thinking about how the event will lose its gravity as the years go on in the future of the United States.

So yes, while Rieff does have a very strong argument that is solidified by historical events, I also believe he is tasteless on the basis of his impoliteness toward the ten year memorial of the attack. It’s too soon to be thinking of moving on from the event.

One thought on “The Limits of Being Tasteful?

1. Isn’t it interesting how a tragedy is required to unite us, to bring out acts of kindness? I remember people distributing water bottles to thirsty pedestrians on that hot day – for free.

Yes, tragedy always brings out the best in us. It is said that the character of a man should be judged not by what he does in times of ease, but in times of difficulty. So why don’t we do a kind act for another person WITHOUT a tragedy, but just for the sake of doing kindness?

I like your post a lot. Sadly, certain things about 9/11 are already being forgotten. There are people who deny that the attacks were carried out by Islamic terrorists, and instead blame the Bush administration, or some other nonsense. Do you think that something like this COULD potentially happen again?

I would answer yes, but not an attack of this magnitude. It’s interesting how technology – which we think of as a good force in our lives – was used for such a nefarious purpose. What would the Wright brothers say if they had lived on 9/11?

A question: To what extent does the assassination of Osama bin Laden bring closure to the 9/11 era? I would answer, not at all: the man may be dead, but – alas – his ideology lives on. And as long as that is the case, we must never forget, and never forgive.

9/11 was a day on which all Americans lost their innocence, when we realized that our enemies are for real – and they want us dead.

In class, we discussed how 9/11 will be remembered, versus how the attack on Pearl Harbor and the Holocaust are remembered. I want to make a few points about this. First, 9/11 and the Holocaust are different from Pearl Harbor because the murder of civilians is always different from the murder of servicemen. Second, 9/11 was witnessed by countless people due to the prevalence of technology, TV, etc.

That’s about it for now. Great post!