Nostalgia Ruined by Hatred

Being born and raised in Brooklyn, Do the Right Thing offers me a nostalgic yet sad view of the place I call home. All the various cultures are what defines Brooklyn as one of the most unique and interesting boroughs in NYC, but the hatred and prejudices between these cultures is the dark shadow that used to predominantly haunt Brooklyn. Now, although racism and prejudice is not completely extinct, it is less profound and rarely results in such strong strong hatred and violence. The most interesting relationship to me in Do the Right Thing, is the relationship between Mookie and Vito. Although they are culturally different, Mookie and Vito are friends and accept each other without prejudice. Mookie and Vito’s friendship to me, stands for the possibility of cultures mixing and growing in “love” instead of opposing each other in “hate.” On the other hand Pino and Buggin Out stand for extremes from both cultures, where they like certain parts about the others culture, but can never fully accept each other due to prejudices. Do the Right Thing seems to be an exposition of the biggest cultural problem in the world at that time, and is simply calling for people to give up their unfounded prejudices and accept each other as equals.

One thought on “Nostalgia Ruined by Hatred

1. Michael, you are right when you said that the relationship between Mookie and Vito is very significant. It is very inspiring when two people from two different backgrounds and cultures and come to together realizing that though their pasts are different, they live together in the present and must live in harmony in the future. For some reason, this reminded me of a Hindi movie named Lagaan where a British lady and an Indian man become friends and it also reminded me of the relationship between John Smith and Pocahontas. Both couples realized the necessity of bringing their cultures together and they worked their hardest to achieve this integration. Today, slowly but surely this integration is happening and hopefully in the future people from different backgrounds can look to each other with no hatred or feelings of not belonging.

Linda Manchery