Metamorphosis: mood diary

I loved the ending to Metamorphosis. It looked like a really colorful and serene scene filled with never ending happiness. I pictured it in the same manner as this painting by Georges-Pierre Seurat

The image gives off an melancholy day, but in reality, everyones face is stoic and straight giving off a feeling of a meaningless feelings rather than excitement; nonetheless, I love this painting just as I love the end of the book. The only times where we actually are in a similar situation to the Samsa’s is when we take care of a parent or elderly person who goes through a mental breakdown such as dementia or schizophrenia.

We can see the person and he would look exactly as he always did, but the mental capacity is nearly gone. The person you have always loved almost seems lost, and that is what Gregor became to the family. He was an empty soul and even worse Gregor’s outside appearance was gone as well. The frustration that the situation ensues is one where the family begins to deteriorate mentally, financially and physically because you have to continuously give care and aid to your family member whereas you could’ve used all that time, money, and effort on something that could be more helpful to your livelihood. This article I read really shows how much you have to give in order to take care of a parent. 

Now obviously the two situations cannot be classified in the same category per se, but it is what resembles life most closely. In the end, Gregor does die and, although it sounds very vulgar and disgusting and shameful to say, the family was liberated; comparably, when that parent does pass away, the family is also liberated of all the work and struggle they had to put in to help that family member. In the end I feel like the family was deeply sad for the loss of their son, just as a family would be to, but now both can finally open their doors and leave without worry about the dangers and G-d forbid moments that is constantly in their mind.

Metamorphosis: mood diary — 2 Comments

1. I think the comparison of Gregor’s situation to that of a homebound individual is very apt as the sequence of events that unfolds does mirror the reality which modern families have to face once a close family member falls ill; compassion, then frustration and then finally total disconnect. I also think that the ‘happy ending’ interpretation is rather interesting as it is evident that the family will benefit from Gregor’s death. The Seurat painting also well represents the era and tone of the final few pages.

2. I have to disagree about the feelings on the ending. I felt that, while reading, Gregor’s family was celebrating the death of their son. Even after all the years (or however long) Gregor kept his family afloat financially. I never would have thought to relate it to Georges-Pierre Seurat’s painting; that was very clever. I did feel a shade of frustration at the end, but I felt anger towards the family more, for going out and celebrating their loss. I appreciate your take on this though — good stuff