Nosferatu Mood Diary

When I first searched up Nosferatu, I was extremely pleased to learn that it was a horror vampire film — two of my favorite things. I didn’t expect it to be as scary as the horror movies today, but that’s to be expected since this came out in the 1900s. And not surprisingly, I wasn’t scared one bit, and I’m a pretty timid girl. Although this film was ~84 minutes, the time went by much faster than I anticipated. Before I knew it, I was one-third, then halfway through the movie.

I don’t know why, but Count Orlok reminded me a lot of Count Olaf from A Series of Unfortunate Events:

6xrk1hMaybe it was the bald-ish head, or the hair sticking out from the sides, or that they both had “Count” in their name, but they just seemed really similar to me.

Some points were rather confusing for me. I forgot who the crazy guy was (it was Knock) and thought it was Hutter for quite some time, so I had to do some research to get myself back on track.

I read through some of the comments on YouTube before watching the film, and one person asked if Nina (the wife) was played by a guy. I could not get that thought out of my mind, since the more I looked at Nina, the more she looked like she was played by a male actor.

I felt the ending was kind of rushed, what with Nina all of a sudden reading her husband’s book and deciding to be the hero, and then Count Orlok dying so easily and quickly. All in all, I didn’t think this was such a bad movie. Maybe I’m biased since I love horror (albeit it wasn’t all too scary) and vampires, but I wasn’t dragging myself to watch it.

Nosferatu Mood Diary — 4 Comments

1. I love the A Series of Unfortunate Events! Now that you mention it, they do look somewhat similar. Because of the black and white, there were times where I was confused in terms of what was happening and to whom. As for that YouTube comment, LOL. (I couldn’t help myself.) I read the same exact comment and started noticing masculine features about her like how you did! I found the ending somewhat unbelievable because there was no clear motive of hers to sacrifice herself for the town.

2. I didn’t find this movie scary either, and I’m really timid myself (especially when it comes to these things). This movie clearly was not written for a modern audience. Since the concept of a vampire has been around for years, we need newer plot twists added to that base to keep us interested.

I actually found the ending to be believable. There was one scene where Nina looks out her window to see all the dead being carried away – she knows that she can fix it all, and that eventually the whole town will be killed off, probably including her husband. The music at this point makes a sort of trilling noise which sounds like she’s crying. So I thought her motive made sense; the “sacrifice yourself for the good of others” theme is a common one.

Oh yea, and that was a really interesting comparison to Count Olaf. The two are both sinister, very tall, and very thin. I wonder if that’s just a coincidence.

3. I had very similar experiences. I was confused when the movie showed Knock again. I also thought it was Hutter. I had to research the movie to disprove my assumption. I also had similar thoughts after reading the comments about how Nina was played by a male actor. However, I did manage to push that aside. I also felt that the ending was rushed. I saw that there were only five minutes remaining and the final scene still had not occurred yet.

4. I got confused between the characters also. Since the clarity was not like movies today and the names of the characters were never said during the movie, I forgot who was who. As I progressed through the movie I figured it out but it took some time. The ending was kind of rushed and there was never a happy scene following the death of Noseforatu. I did enjoy the experience of watching such an old silent film.