Subway Jam Sessions

Subway music

About the Project

For this project, I went into the depths of the New York Subway System in order to explore the different realms of music that can be found there. MUNY, also known as the Music Under New York, is a program that was started by the MTA which gave unrecognized artists a chance to share their music. The MTA’s goal is to provide exposure for a lot of the unrecognized artists that are looking to do music for a living. I plan to share the performances of certain artists that stood out to me. In doing so, I hope that you will appreciate the different musical performances that the MTA has to offer.

About the Program

Because the MTA serves millions of people on a daily basis, it is easy to expose people to different types of music. This helps connects people of different cultures and helps people understand the role of music in countries around the world. In the Music Under New York program, there are presently 350 soloists and over 7,500 performances per year (according to the MTA website). These performances are spread out throughout thirty different locations/subway stations. Although the MTA is pretty lenient with the rules top become a subway performer, they still hold the artists to a certain level of standard and expect to fully comply with the given rules. In essence, the rules states that subway performances are not to beg for money, sell merchandise, and interfere with any aspect of the transit authority.

Musical Performances I Observed

Geovanni Suquillo

Afrikumba Utibe Drummers

Espiritu Andino