Professor Lee Quinby – Macaulay Honors College – Spring 2010

Are Vampires Incestuous?

Are Vampires Incestuous?

Are Vampires Incestuous?

The lecture on vampires and sexuality brought up some interesting questions about kinship and family systems in the vampire world.  I’ve watched and read a lot of different stuff pertaining to vampires.  And after vampires are “made” or “sired,” they sometimes refer to their lineage in family terms such as “mother” or “father” or (and grandparents are the vampires who made the vampires who made them).  I guess it’s fitting to consider the other vampire as a parent because they are introducing new life.

Yet, despite this idea of lineage, there is often a sexual relationship between vampires and the one who “made” them.  So if these vampires consider each other family, are they engaging in parent/child incest?  Or is it like having an affair with your stepparent?  They are not technically biologically related, though they are related by blood according to the processes of siring a vampire.  So how powerful are those blood ties and that constructed kinship?  Apparently not so powerful that they trump biology.  But isn’t vampirism is all about rebirth into an undead life?

So are all vampires just super-incestuous?  Interesting, because incest is considered to be a perversion.  And vampires are frequently portrayed as sexual deviants according to mainstream standards.  Maybe the whole kinship/incest thing is a subtle nod to those portrayals.  Or maybe it is just like sleeping with your step-something.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

One Response to “Are Vampires Incestuous?”

1. Katharine Maller Says:

“Interesting, because incest is considered to be a perversion.”

Even more interesting because vampires aren’t supposed to have souls. I like your analysis, and I’ve noticed those things too (I’ve read way too many vampire novels and am far too obsessed with Buffy to not notice – Druscilla and Angel are a perfect example.) I wonder, then, how to apply the idea of deviance to beings who are inherently damned, according to legend. What’s deviant if you’re a child of hell?