Sam Han | Eportfolio

Main menu:

Site search

Categories

August 2010
S M T W T F S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Tags

The Lushness of the Fender Rhodes

09 Virgin Land by Tony Kinsey  
Download now or listen on posterous

02 09 Virgin Land.mp3 (6590 KB)

I know this song most famously appeared on percussionist Airto Moreira’s album of the same name. This rendition is pretty damn good. (Beat-making friends: Hands off! I will proceed to sample the crap out of this.) I’d never heard of Tony Kinsey until I looked him up and he seems to be a jazz drummer from the UK. 

Anyway, props to Hua Hsu for putting me on to a MP3 collection called Library Rhodes, on which this track appears. The collection is named after the Fender Rhodes Electric Piano, which is one of the most beautiful sounding instruments ever. So…lush. That’s really the best word I have to describe it. During the G Band Free days, when Sam Krinsky had purchased one (from 80s I think) and left it in our studio, I’d tinker around on it every chance I got. Major drawback, however, as anyone who has been around one before can tell you, is that it is probably the heaviest thing on Earth. 

Listen carefully to this song, especially to the Right channel, where the Rhodes is panned. Wouldn’t you agree, it sounds so freaking…LUSH? 

Posted via email from sam han’s posterous