Sam Han | Eportfolio

Main menu:

Site search

Categories

November 2010
S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  

Tags

Tales from a Past Life

and it’s free!

this is why Woody is wrong when he says that indie/experimental hip-hop is never to be listened to. now, while this music isn’t reaching down my throat and yanking hard on my jiggy organs, I’ve been grinning like an idiot and bopping along to this album all day. ladies and robots: G Band Free.

G Band Free – WDTG

G Band Free – Should’ve Been a Dream

right off the bat, they self-label themselves as “six kids with six thousand influences,” and have created their entire first album, Backwards Crown, without hesistation or restraint. the result is something that is extremely novel, but unlike many of the similar endeavors that result in total aural disasters, this one works. no, it’s not packed with club bangers. no, they probably won’t play Webster Hall anytime soon (but feel free to prove me wrong, guys). but who gives a fuck? it’s fun. it’s 9 tracks of little awesome secrets that are meant to be whispered in your ear by your headphones, over and over. the sound is truly as diverse as they claim, and comes up miles away from where most hip-hop production surfaces. in the end, it sounds more like Self produced an album for Edan than much else I could compare it to. but it’s not really worth comparing it to anything out there, because it’s innovation. pure, fun, unbridled innovation. so cheers to that.

you can download the entire album for free at the G Band Free website, and watch for them around NYC.

Here it is. Living proof that I was once in a pretty damn good band that got a little bit of blog-buzz before blog-buzz meant something.

Music for Robots, to my knowledge, was a pretty big indie music blog that existed before Pitchfork. I have no clue whether they are comparable but their website (and their archives) had been down for so long that I felt genuine sadness and panic that the sole piece of Internet recognition that my bandmates and I received would be lost for ever on the interconnected networks. But lo and behold, MfR’s relaunch brought with it its archives, and preserved in nearly mint condition (though I believe the original author of the post’s has been replaced) is what I google in times of personal despair and worry to remind myself of better days.

Posted via email from sam han’s posterous