Jewel of the Crown

“So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left undone, either by man or nature, to make India the most extraordinary country that the sun visits on his rounds. Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked.” Mark Twain

Makar Sankranti!

Filed under: Uncategorized — Syeda Hasan at 11:32 am on Thursday, January 20, 2011

Saturday was Sankrant, a Hindu festival. The true purpose of the holiday is not known, but usually people say women celebrate it to honor their husbands. But others say it is a day when women celebrate themselves. Us girls finally got to wear our saris! The women of the mess hall helped us put them on. Afterwards, we drove over to the temples. The temples were filled with women and little girls. Swarms of women came to us and showered us in sesame and blessed us with their red and yellow powders, and gave us tiny sugar balls to eat. By the time I got back, my whole forehead was redd. It was definitely a great experience to dress up and be part of a huge festival exclusively for women.

No Comments

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.