Art is Where You Find It

The Underground Exhibit

There are several ways to get to the basement of Hunter College. You can take the entrance on 68th or the one on 69th, but there is one way of getting into the basement that people rarely take. Those doors on Lexington Avenue often go unnoticed. Once inside, there’s a security desk, but scarcely a guard. Past the desk there’s a pair of old elevators and a set of stairs. The solitude throughout the journey makes you question whether you are still in the City. If you go one flight down the desolate staircase, you find yourself still secluded, but this time surrounded by art. This little spot, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, is home to “The Thomas Hunter Gallery: Ceramic Area.” The work at this gallery is more erratic and contemporary than any other gallery I’ve seen. A creation put out on display can be taken down in less than 7 days or it may stay up for months on end. The pieces themselves vary immensely, ranging from glazed pots to wooden boxes, and are constantly fluctuating. Treasures can be found at some of the most eccentric places, even in a quiet basement below one of Manhattan’s loudest streets.

P.S.- I stopped by Monday night and they already updated it from when I last visited for the blurb.

You must log in to post a comment.