Art is Where You Find It

Light the Night, Will You?

Thousands of brightly lit balloons filled the Brooklyn Bridge with hope and unity on October 16th. Now in its 10th year, the annual Leukemia Light the Night walk continues to raise money for patients, survivors, and their supportive families. This year, I had the chance to join the community for the first time. Seeing all the people with one common goal was such a new and exciting experience. Right before the walk started, I roamed around Seaport and advanced to one of the upper floors overlooking the whole place. Seaport was more beautiful than it ever was. Three levels below, there were thousands of people in white t-shirts and red, white, or gold balloons that blinked repeatedly. Shows and speeches brought people together to share tears and experiences. Many were overjoyed to see the amount of donations go up and up—soon to be given to the some of the best researchers for cures. The walk across the Brooklyn Bridge was such a visible and symbolic way to attract attention to patients battling leukemia. Just seeing their appreciation makes me want to participate every year. 

You must log in to post a comment.