Art is Where You Find It

Kirchner at MoMa

You might expect an exhibit of pieces from pre-WWI Berlin to be a gloomy collection of dark, depressing works indicative of the impending war—at least, that’s the idea I had in mind as I walked towards a sign labeled with “Kirchner and the Berlin Street” in chunky block letters. I was definitely in for a surprise. Kirchner’s pieces are loud and bold, a riot of paint splashes and striking brush strokes. His subject matter is enticing enough in of itself; he chose to paint Berlin’s underground prostitutes, portraying them as sensual, mysterious creatures who were more than just nameless pieces of flesh. They are portrayed in fancy dress, with haughty smiles and arrogant poses. The paintings are exciting and slightly unnerving, grim and dark in a noirish way. The historical background of the pieces only serves to make them more memorable. At a time when Europe was about to descend into war, it’s incredible to find that artists were still able to create such awesome pieces of art, pieces that revealed a side of society most people never see.

1 comment

1 coreytrippiedi { 11.04.08 at 9:28 pm }

Nice, nice….

Interesting to see prostitutes in that light, i bet…

Good use of noirish…..
“Sensual and mysterious creatures,” nice…..

Good use of

You must log in to post a comment.