Art is Where You Find It

Oceania at the Met

I’ve probably been to the Met no less than twenty to thirty times in my life. I’d thought I had already combed through every individual exhibit in the building. As a result, you can imagine my surprise when I suddenly stumbled upon the “Arts of Africa, Oceania, and the Americas” exhibit last week when I was persuaded (read: paid) to take my cousin to the museum (he spent most of the trip with his eyes glued to his Nintendo DS). I have no idea how I ever could have missed it in the past, especially since it is a permanent exhibit that occupies its own wing. I certainly took my time that day, whiny cousin in tow, browsing and absorbing new information about ancient Pacific Island rites and the construction of totem poles. The exhibit was thorough and encompassing, boasting collections of gold-plated statues, symbolic stone sculptures, religious wood carvings, life-sized boats, and festive masks, among many other things. The Oceanic region has always fascinated me because of the “exoticness” associated with it, and I especially enjoy ancient art because it’s always amazing to see that we haven’t changed much from our primitive ancestors in the sense that we still create pieces that explore timeless subjects like love and death. I love the Met, and this adventure has proven that there are still plenty of treasures in the building left for me to uncover in the future.

You must log in to post a comment.